Welcome to Catholic Engaged Encounter
Diocese of St. Augustine, Florida
Catholic Engaged Encounter is an intense weekend experience offering you the time and opportunity to deepen your relationship with each other and with God. Although Catholic in origin, Catholic Engaged Encounter is open to any couple of any faith who are preparing for a marriage that would be recognized by the Catholic Church. Formal engagement is not necessary; a couple need only to be seriously considering marriage
Facilitated by volunteer presenting teams, you and your future spouse learn valuable communication and conflict resolution skills, explore the role of religion and values in your lives and discuss important topics like children, marriage as a sacrament and the power of commitment. You will be stimulated to discuss privately with each other all aspects of married life- always from the viewpoint of your own relationship. The emphasis is not on lectures or group discussions. this is a private experience in a quiet and informal setting. Personal reflection and couple dialogue are the main focus of the weekend.
The weekend experience consists of personal presentations, individual reflection and focused discussions with your future spouse. Take time out of your busy lives to focus on your relationship with each other and God.
Click here To register for a CEE weekend in St. Augustine
or e-mail Jamie & Dawn Oehmann, our Local Coordinators for more information.
2014 Weekend Dates
Find us on Facebook
To hear about the weekend from couples who have attended, click here
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is it for?
Although Catholic in origin, Catholic Engaged Encounter is open to any couple of any faith who are preparing for a marriage that would be recognized by the Catholic Church. Formal engagement is not necessary; a couple need only to be seriously considering marriage.
What happens on the weekend?
Through a series of presentations by married couples and a priest, the engaged couple is stimulated to discuss privately with each other all aspects of married life- always from the viewpoint of their own relationship. The emphasis is not on lectures or group discussions. This is a private experience in a quiet and informal setting. Personal reflection and couple dialogue are the main focus of the weekend.
When Should We Attend?
Six months prior to your wedding is ideal. Plan to attend no later than four weeks prior to your wedding, as the weekends fill that far in advance.
How long is the weekend?
The Engaged Encounter Retreat begins Friday at 7:00 pm and concludes Sunday afternoon at 3:00 pm. Because Engaged Encounter is a weekend experience, a complete weekend stay is necessary.
Weekends are held at Marywood Retreat Center in Switzerland, Florida, south of Jacksonville on S.R. 13. Marywood houses participants in semiprivate rooms with a full bath, and central heat and air conditioning.
What is the cost?
The cost for the weekend is $280 per couple. Included are 3 meals on Saturday and Breakfast on Sunday and a semi-private room (you will have a roommate of the same gender).
What is the Cancellation policy?
If you have to cancel more than 10 days in advance, $125 will be refunded or you can transfer 1 time to an upcoming weekend. If you cancel inside 10 days, there is no refund or transfer available.
Map of 1714-5 State Road 13
Jacksonville, FL 32259-9253
Directions to 1714-5 State Road 13
Jacksonville, FL 32259-9253
Are you interested in helping out or becoming a part of the ministry? There are several ways you can do this. Training/guidance is provided for each of the responsibilities. These are not volunteer opportunities that any one couple has for every weekend on the schedule. They rotate and average twice a year for each couple.
- You can be a Prayer Couple for a weekend. This requires keeping a couple who is on the weekend in your prayers and writing a prayer letter for them.
- You can be a Supply Couple. This involves restocking the supplies for the weekend and making sure that all the copies, notebooks, etc. are ready to be picked up before the weekend.
- You can help out with Registration for a weekend. This involves coming out on Friday night and getting the couples signed in for the weekend and assigning their rooms. It is necessary for you to arrive by 5:30 and you are finished by 8pm that night.
- You can help out Behind the Scenes for a weekend. This involves spending the weekend and being the "organization" couple. You will help the team as well as the couples as needed throughout the weekend.
- You can be a Junior Presenting Couple. This couple has usually been married for 3-5 years or longer. There is a couple that will work with you in writing your talks and preparing you for the weekend.
- You can be a Senior Presenting Couple. This couple has usually been married for 10 years or longer. There is a couple that will work with you in writing your talks and preparing you for the weekend.
- There are other ways to be involved in the ministry without working on the weekends. please contact us for more information if you are interested. We have meetings once a month that you could attend to find out more about us. Please see our current Newsletter for information on the meetings.
For more information, please contact our Local Coordinators:
Jamie & Dawn Oehmann